Sunday, June 28, 2009

One helluva week!

Starting on Sunday (Father's Day) around 4:45pm I began having some pretty uncomfortable pains that went on for about 5 hours until I finally decided to head on up to the hospital to make sure all was ok. They put me on the monitors and found that I wasn't having any contractions and baby Brayden was doing great.

I decided to go ahead and leave AMA and just follow up with my doctor the next morning. I mainly just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't in preterm labor and that Brayden was still doing well. Not to mention that my sisters - Heather and Harley - were in the waiting room the whole time and Ava and Tyler were at home with Amber.

I was up every hour Sunday night and by Monday morning I was convinced that I had either a UTI, bladder of kidney infection of some sort. I called my doctor and after explaining what had been going on, she had me come into the office and leave a urine sample. She sent me on my way with an antibiotic.

By Wednesday it STILL hadn't gotten any better and I was in pretty good amount of pain. I spoke with the doctors office again and was told to head back up to Antepartum. They took another urine sample and informed me that they had found traces of blood and they weren't quite sure why. They did an ultrasound of Brayden (doing great; measuring a week ahead at 2.4lbs) as well as an ultrasound of my bladder and kidneys. At this point they were thinking it was either kidney stones or a really bad infection.

After getting the results back from the ultrasound - no sign of infection or kidney stones - they basically told me they had no idea why there was blood in my urine or why I was in so much pain.

REALLY?! Isn't it your freaking JOB to find out what is going on???

They informed me that they had spoken with the Urologist and that he thought it was just the pressure from the baby and without removing him (which obviously was NOT an option) there was no way of telling. They wanted me to stay overnight in order for the Urologist to see me and tell me the exact same thing they had just told me. I refused to rack up a hospital bill any further than was necessary and I also did not want to leave my daughter with my sister over night (Michael came to the hospital to see me and then had to head out of town). I left pretty upset that they weren't able to help me nor figure out what was causing so much pain.

Saturday morning (after a week of pain) I decided to go back to the hospital due to the fact that nothing had gotten better (mind you, I had started the antibiotics on Monday and was still taking them at this point, with no relief).

When they took another urine sample, it was obvious that there was definitely LOTS of blood in it - much more than before. They kept me over night and put me on a few rounds of IV antibiotics and I drank lots of water and cranberry juice to flush my system out. Turns out they did find small traces of an infection and I also ended up passing a kidney stone today.

They doctor thinks that I passed the kidney stone almost all the way through earlier in the week, but it got stuck right at the end and that's what caused the pain for such an extended amount of time.

I was really sad about staying over night last night - it was my very first night away from Ava - but I am REALLY glad to be done with all of the pain and discomfort! Michael brought both Tyler and Ava up to see me last night (and they brought some strawberry cheesecake from Saltgrass!) so I felt a little better about it.

I am happy to be pain free and back at home with my family. I never want to go through that again (I have heard it can be MUCH worse then what I went through and I don't care to find out for myself!).


Aimee' said...

oh gosh girl! i've had kidney stones before and thought I was dying!! I feel your pain! I'm glad you feel better!!

LucieP said...

ewww...that is no good!
I'm glad that you and Brayden are better!!

Stacie's Madness said...

damn girl, that sucks. glad you are both ok now!