Tuesday, June 9, 2009

25 Weeks, 3 Days




Last week when I went in for my doctor's appointment I took the glucose test. You know the one - where you drink that yucky oh so yummy sugar drink and wait in the waiting room for an hour before having your blood drawn? Yeah, that's the one.

I received a phone call from one of the nurses today informing me that I am borderline for Gestational Diabetes (131 I think).

I am already scheduled for another appointment on July 8th so I will also be taking the 3 hour test that day. I am really hoping that I pass!

I did a little research on Gestational Diabetes (I did not have it with Ava, nor did I have to take the 3 hour test. I passed the first one) you can read a little about it here.

One of the things the doctor told me - and it is also stated on the websites I visited - is that Gestational Diabetes can cause a high birth rate. I was literally on the phone with my Mom when the doctor called, telling her that I have a feeling that Brayden is going to be bigger than Ava was at birth. (He is already kicking my ribs and it's pretty uncomfortable!)

I am trying not too worry too much about it but I am watching what I eat. Not that I really ate all that bad in the first place, but I am trying to be more cautious. I just really hope that I pass the next test and am in the clear. I read that it can also cause breathing problems for the baby and I certainly don't want that!

The nurse also informed me that I am now more anemic than I was and she wants me to start taking iron everyday now, separate from my prenatal.

Other than all that, I am doing well. Still having a fantastic pregnancy and really can't complain at all!

A few nights ago, I did feel as though I was having contractions (Braxton Hicks, I am sure) that lasted for 30 - 45 minutes, about a minute in length and a couple minutes apart. It made me a little nervous (I am only a week and a half over 6 months!) only because they were so close together. I decided to wait it out a while and see what happened. They did finally subside and other than about 10 minutes night before last, they have not returned.

I did mention this to the nurse today and she told me to just be cautious, take it easy, and call them if they come back and I have more that 3 or 4 in an hour. I am not really worried at this point. If they come back, I will definitely speak with the nurse and go in for some tests but I am confident that all is well.

Mr. Brayden is doing well. Constantly moving, flipping, kicking in there! I thought Ava moved around a lot, but I think he has her beat! And I know he is growing right on schedule (maybe even ahead of schedule!)

2 comments:

Lyryn said...

I hope you don't mind me saying but you have a beautiful belly shape. If you lived close to me I would want to photograph it. Belly photography is my specialty! :) More than half way there!!

LucieP said...

yes you do have a fab belly!!!

I had GD with Matthew...no insulin but did have to check my sugar 4 times a day and take medicine. I ended up only gaining 10 lbs my whole pregnancy and Matthew weighed almost 8!!

I will say a prayer for you hot mama!